
This is a little backwards. I actually went to the St George Temple before i went to the Las Vegas one, so i apologize that this is out of chronological order. Let me go back and account of my time in St George.
As you may know, i had a three day weekend off from work and decided it would be fun to continue my temple adventure and go down south, because i had not been to the temples down there. Unfortunately, i was sick on thursday with the flu, and was hoping that i would still be able to go, because i had already paid for a hotel.
I felt good enough to go the next day (friday), so i headed out in the morning. The plan was to get there and buy a ticket to see "twilight" before i went to the temple, because i had an inkling that it would be sold out pretty quick. And boy was i right! Right when i got there, around 2:30, i went to buy a ticket and most of the showings were sold out. I had planned to go to the temple first and then to the movie, but because they were all sold out, i went to a mattinee instead.
So, i bought my ticket and then headed over to check into my hotel. I only had an hour until the movie started so i was trying to hurry. I've never actually been to a hotel by myself before, so this was a new experience. And the best way i can sum it up is, it's kinda lonely...
I took my stuff inside and changed into my church clothes (because i would have to hurry to the temple as soon as the movie got out) and then headed back to the theater, where i found a rather large line, composed of teenage girls and menopausing women. I suddenly felt silly for wanting to see the movie, and alone, nonetheless. And yeah, the aloneness i felt in my hotel room, came ten fold, going to this teenie bopper movie, by myself. Oh well. Ha.
The movie... Wasnt what i expected. Maybe i am biased because i read the books. It just seemed so cheesy. It seemed to me that they mixed up Edward and Bella's personalities. In the books, Edward was confident and Bella was shy and nervous. But in the movie, they made Edward look silly sometimes and like Bella had it all together. I'm not sure i liked the style of how the movie was made... I dunno. I think i need to think about it a little more. Maybe even see it again. I just tried to look at it from the point of view of someone not having read the books... It was just weird. ?
Afterward, i went to the temple. YEA! My heart was low, because, i was still feeling the aloneness of the trip, but the temple always helps. Another beautiful temple. The session was completely full. (about 150 people!)
Now, sometimes, i see things going on in life and it grieves my heart. Like, when i go to a movie and they put an unnecessary sex scene in it or something. It makes me so upset and sad. But then there are times like these, when my heart is filled with joy. Here it was, friday night, and most people could've been out to the movie or dinner, but they were here on their dates, at the temple. I couldnt help but smile.
Afterward, I went and got some dinner and went back to my hotel to eat it. (Panda Express. I usually like to try new things, especially being on an adventure, but i kinda just wanted something familiar, since i was feeling a little out of place and alone. Panda is always good for that.) I had planned to watch Goonies or Swiss Family Robinson, or something comforting, ha. But then i talked with my friend Alicia. Her and her husband live down here and i had forgotten. So i went over to their place for about an hour and we played some game where you roll these two little pigs and see how they land. It was quite entertaining to see how much her husband got into it.
So, that's ten temples in nine weeks. I wont be able to go to the temple next week because my only day off is Thanksgiving. (Thus making it ten temples in ten weeks) but the following week, i will try and keep up the goal. I still want to go to Salt Lake (which i have been to before, but not on this adventure) Vernal, Idaho Falls and Rexburg. After that, i'm not sure what i may do. I may just have to keep going around here and continue the adventure throughout my life. We'll see.
Until next time, thanks for reading. :)
5 comments:
i am impressed at your adventures, and that you did it alone--i am sure i would feel lonely too, but i think it is a bit more impressive that you went alone--it shows you are there because you want to be and not just along for a social road trip or something.
"toss the pigs" is a fun game. ; )
i second all that my sister said.
I love that game! I used to play it with my grandma all the time! ha ha!
Jaime I love that you are doing this and having such great adventures! You've gotta turn your blog into a book just for the temple part! Wouldn't that be cool? "Jaime's Temple Adventure 2008" I would read it! :) Thanks for giving me a spiritual thought every week. You're the best!
Yes, yes, yes! I was just explaining to my mom how I thought Edward appeared a little cowardly in the movie instead of confident like in the book. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed!
I totally would have gone with you. Alicia said that she got to see you and I was so jealous it was out of control. I wish you would have told me and I would have loved to go with you! It sounds like you are having a great time going to all those Temples. Let me know when you go to Idaho.
Post a Comment