Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Exercise

  • A wise bishop once advised me to exercise. He said it would help me deal with the daily grind. Oh how right he was!

  • I've been going to the gym, faithfully, almost every day for the past month. My goal has been to help release anxiety, and work away the little tire that has taken residence around my belly. About five years ago, i lost about 5 1/2 inches on my waist. (i KNOW! That's alot!) it required a few HOURS at the gym everyday, weight lifting, and a pretty slim diet... (i dont recommend it) I eventually gained 2 inches back, once i started eating normal again and maintained that for a few years. But since i broke my feet, a few years ago, it's been steadily increasing ever since. ALMOST up to the original size. Boo.)

In this month of working out, i have GAINED 5 lbs, and lost almost an inch. (wahoo!) At first, i noticed the weight gain, but had not lost any inches, and was a little frustrated. I knew that the fat had been turning to muscle, and that explained the weight gain, but, still. It's a little disconcerting to see the scale slowly go up with no other signs of improvement. Why cant it all come off more quickly!? GOSH.


One thing i've learned too, i cannot diet AND work out at the same time. It's either or for me. The more i work out, the more food i require, and i just cant make it off lite and fat free EVERYTHING while trying to build muscle and burn fat . Plus, i'd so much rather just work out a little harder so that i can eat a cupcake. (or two!) One time i was reading through a magazine and Gweneth Paltrow said the exact same thing! Me and Gwen, we're like this. (intertwining fingers)


I also had wise friend mention one time that she would read the Ensign while she worked out She said it was best because it helped her work out her frustrations, while learning and expanding her mind. It was a great environment for the spirit. While she told me this a while ago, i never really experimented on it. I liked to watch "America's next top model" or something while i worked out. But, recently, i have decided to try reading the Ensign, and it's AMAZING! It's like, i can't get enough. I'm kicking myself for not having done it before. And now, I think EVERYONE should do it. :)


The end.

2 comments:

The Bahrs said...

way to go! that IS a good idea to read the Ensign while you exercise...if only I could get 20 minutes that i didn't have to get something else done so I could exercise more...someday! ha ha! if you ever want to go to the rec center give me a call!

Micah said...

Hey Jaime, Jaime! It was so good to see you on Halloween! Sorry I was so out of it. Sounds like we started exercising around the same time - I will never give up the sweets entirely either - I'm too addicted! Good luck though, you can do it.