Friday, November 7, 2008

Body Worlds!

Tonight, i went and saw Body Worlds at the Leonardo in Salt Lake. Earlier this year, i went to New York for my birthday. (Thank you Josh, Natalie and Miles.) While i was there, i kept seeing advertising for this exhibit. It quite confused me, cause, at first, i didnt realize it was like, an art exhibit. (Which was the main reason i was there. I love art!) Anyway, when i realized it was an exhibit, I wanted to go, but i dont know, i was sorta afraid... Ha. And, i didnt.


And then it came to UTAH!!


So, my dad and i went tonight, as our very first daddy-daughter date.


It was definately an interesting learning experience. Truly, i wish there had been less people there. When you purchased your tickets, they were for a specific time. We got there at 5pm, but our tickets were for 5:30. Instead of waiting it out, my dad decided to ask and see if we could go in early. They let us and so we did.


They had full human figures, here and there, all done in olympic type poses. (An archer, a figure skating pair, a gymnist, etc.) But mostly they had glass cabinets full of organs. Some were normal and healthy and some had defects. Some they had split open so you could see inside. They had videos and things, explaining how your body works. It was an educational experience.


They also had a section on feti. (plural for fetus?) For some reason i found this the most interesting. At the beginning, they had several viles, with embryo, from a few weeks, all the way up to 13, showing their development. Then, they had other little fetuses (i'm not really sure how to make that plural) going from 18 weeks, up to 32. It was amazing to see how much they developed in so short a time.


I remember hearing about a pregnant cadaver, and how you could see the baby inside, and another one of a horse, but, they werent there. And i was sad. But then my dad explained that there are several exhibits going on.


It was weird too, because, while i knew that all these specimen were actual real people, it just never set in. Like, i dont know if i was blocking it out or something. It all just seemed like art pieces to me and not real, actual human being remains. ???

Anyway, i was glad i got to go. They even give you a little pamphlet / book thing at the beginning to write your thoughts down. It's supposed to be like Leonardo DaVinci did. Make notes and study and learn. While i usually take a sketchbook to art shows i go to and sketch and make notes, i just didnt want to this time. ? But i LOVED the little book. (I wanted to take more than one, but felt guilty when i read the sign that said, TAKE ONE) I'm sure i'll find some other use for it. :)


Afterward, we went to a little, college, chinese restaraunt. While it wasnt my favorite food (i got sesame chicken. --cant go wrong with that, right?-- it oddly tasted like maple syrup, and had a chewy texture. Yeckh.) The atmosphere was fun and it was good to talk to my dad. My whole life i've never really talked to him. Maybe a few times, but not really. Not like this. It was good to understand a few things, and have him understand me.


When we were finished, i met up with the Hilton's and the Cook's for Craig's 40th birthday and The Old Spaghetti Factory in Kearns. I love craig. I love this family. They are my 2nd family. I came while they were eating, but it was okay because, i had just eaten. But i stayed for pie (pumpkin and pecan) and sucking helium balloons.


Good times. Good times.

5 comments:

Becky said...

I want to go see that! I'm glad you had a nice daddy-daughter date

--jeff * said...

the more i've thought about the exhibit, the more i'd really like to see it. although fetuses leave me with a weird feeling (even the word does), so i might not spend as much time there.

even more, i'm glad the daddy-daughter date went well.

The Bahrs said...

Hey! I want to give you access to my blog but I don't have your email! So email me your add and I'll send you an invite! :O)

The Bahrs said...

PS my email is katherineabahr@yahoo.com

DUH! Ha ha!

Micah said...

Very cool! I've been wanting to go see that. Just a side note, I don't know why, but the blogger list of blogs never updates my blog when I update - yours isn't the only one. I'm not quite sure what to do to fix it. Have fun!