Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Keepin up, with Glenn


I purposely didn't turn the dishwasher on tonight, after finishing loading it, so that there would be hot water for my shower. Then i heard the water turn on. My little brother is taking a bath...

So, i write as i wait for hot water.

I'm not political, nor do i like the news. I never have. I've always found it depressing. And while very young, i decided that i was just going to avoid the news, because, really, ignorance is bliss. Not knowing about all the horrible things going on in the world, made me happier than knowing. And if there were something REALLY important going on, like, let's say, the 9/11 attacks, i'd find out about it, somehow. i always did.

I stuck with this apathetic view of the world until about two years ago. Someone taught me that being apathetic was BAD. (i don't know where i missed that one, but i did.) But there was still this problem of, me not liking the news nor being political. What do you do when you feel it's important to know what's going on in the world and to take an active part in it, yet, you hate watching the news and would rather poke yourself in the eye?

this was the dilemna i had.

well, Glenn Beck is my source for news.

I was introduced to him as a news source a few years ago. You may know he's mormon, and that may have persuaded me some. ( i have heard, on numerous occassions, his testimony and the man is amazing. i trust him from this. i've come to find that trust is VERY imortant in deciding who you're going to listen to. --- a.k.a. getting important information like, the news.) but i just like how he puts things. I get emails every couple of days with little snippets of things he's talking about on his shows. He adds a little sarcasm, which, while it stills gets the point across about what's going on, it doesnt make me want to poke my eyes out as i read. His wit informs me AND makes me smile.

And thus i stay up (relatively) on things going on, but don't have to spend ENDLESS HOURS watching the news. YEA! We all win.

I also like that he encourages us to be better. He is very conservative. I used to be a little more liberal, back in the day... and i used to look at things so differently. Like, i used to think there wasn't necessarily a right and a wrong; it depended on the situation. but the more i learn about the gospel, the more i see how it aligns so much with being conservative. there IS black and white. WE usually make the gray. (it's called rationalizing.) but, i like how glenn will say it how it is. Some things he says are hard to hear, but, he's usually right. We could do better.

For example, this is what he says about the need for us to be thrifty:

Slowly but surely we have gone from a nation of savers to a nation of spenders. It's a behavior that's not solely promoted by marketers but by our government as well. Shortly after 9/11 President Bush told people to get out to malls and fly on planes. Part of that was meant to say 'just live life like usual' but a bigger part was he thought that would help the economy. Same thing with President Obama - he's banking on you spending stimulus money, that's the whole idea behind a stimulus. However, as Glenn explains, there is nothing wrong with saving money. You are not hurting the economy by building up an emergency fund. To the contrary, you are actually strengthening the financial position of our country. [This] value is one that may be the most difficult for us to live by---and that's thrift. We slam the government for spending too much, but have you looked closely at your budget lately?

anyway, if you're not a fan of the news, or even if you are, check out glenn. he's a good guy. i don't listen to alot of people, but i do, listen to him.

2 comments:

Jon said...

I like Beck too. Did you ever see his tribute to President Hinckley? Awesome

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie! I found your blog through Micah's hope you dont mind me stopping by!

all I have to say on this is

AMEN!