
I dont know how many of you know the story of Hannah from the Bible. (i know. i didnt either...) But i read it a little while ago. I wanted to write a little about what i learned from it.
Now she was barren and it made her really sad. so sad that "she wept and did not eat." (1 samuel 1:7)
and in verse 6 it says:
"And her adversary also provoked her sore, for to make her fret, because the Lord had shut up her womb."
Now, have you ever felt this way? Have you ever had a burden, or heartache, that you could do nothing about, and the adversary would "provoke you to fret" about it? And make you feel like maybe Heavenly Father didn't love you because of this? Or make you feel like you had no self worth? Or just make you upset and worry about it, ALL THE TIME?
Okay, maybe it's just me... (although i don't think it is, because, HELLO, there's a story in the BIBLE about it) but, all i can think is,
STUPID SATAN. >:^*
One thing i've learned the past few years is how sneaky and tricky satan is. He mixes truth with error, so he's hard to detect and he leads us away, without us even knowing. He tries so hard to entice us to do bad things. Sometimes we give in. But sometimes we don't. So how is he supposed to get us if we aren't doing or won't do "bad" things? (and don't think he's not still trying to get you just because you're trying your best not to do bad things. He NEVER goes away. He's pretty stubborn like that..)
I believe, he tries to make us sad. "provoke us to fret" about things.
Think about it, if he can't get us to do bad things, but CAN get us to be sad, and therefore NOT do GOOD things and slowly self destruct... he still wins.
see? he fights dirty. (i KNOW! doesn't it just make you mad?!)
I have a quote on my door that says:
"It requires a good deal of the Spirit of the Lord to keep men in that condition of feeling that is right in the sight of the Lord. I do feel to say to my brethren and sisters, do not be discouraged. Do not allow darkness and gloom to enter into your hearts. I want to give you a rule by which you may know that the spirit which you have is the right spirit. The Spirit of God produces cheerfulness, joy, light, and good feelings. whenever you feel gloomy and despondent and are downcast, unless it be for your sins, you may know it is not the Spirit of God which you have. Fight against it and drive it out of your heart. The Spirit of God is a spirit of hope; it is not a spirit of gloom. "
-George Q Cannon
Life is hard sometimes. This quote has helped me to recognize when satan was around, and when he might be trying to influence me to be sad.
It's alot easier to fight something when you know it's there.
Never give up. Never surrender.
:)
4 comments:
My thoughts as I read your post:
1) Hannah? who was she? Oh yeah, wasn't she mom to Samuel? (had to think for a minute)
2) Barren womb--that's like Rachel (of Jacob and Rachel-and Leah) I gave a lesson on a talk about her and it said: "three of the sweetest words in the Bible are 'God remembered Rachel' and she bore children, and God will remember you in your trials too." I liked that part.
Thanks for the quote. It was the uplift that I needed. =] You're amazing Love!
You always post about things I need to hear. Thanks Jaime!
Love it. Keep this thought. I think the biggest reasons we are counselled to keep journals is (1)so we can write our thoughts and impressions that come from the spirit. God is always willing to teach us, and like his counsel to be "more grateful" I think writing impressions from the spirit is a way to show that his impressions mean something to us; and (2) there is a real therapy in writing our thoughts and feelings. Self review is cathartic.
Your posts are always insightful. You have a knack for writing.
Post a Comment