Sunday, February 1, 2009

Single Awareness Day

Soapbox Discussion: Valentines Day

(disclaimer: because this is a soapbox rant, it's pretty, um, blunt. I just want to make a point and hope it'll make people think about things differently)

I'm not looking forward to Valentines day this year and there's actually only one reason why. it makes my face scrunch up like i ate something sour, when i think about it coming, EVERY YEAR.

WHY? you ask yourself.

Let me tell you.

I'm tired of single people whining about valentines day. They've even renamed it, SINGLE AWARENESS DAY. They do this to make themselves feel better about being single. But, who says that valentines day is ONLY about ROMANTIC love?

My entire life, twenty-six YEARS, i've only had a special someone on valentines day for three of those years. THREE. If you do the math, that's not a very good average. But, it doesn't matter. I decided a LONG time ago, that valentines day was about telling people you love that you love them, and not a HIGH SCHOOL CELEBRATION, proving that you're good enough to be with someone. How silly that we tell ourselves that is how it's supposed to be. Where did we get this idea?

It's all in how you look at things.

You've got two choices: Valentines is a holiday like a club in high school, where if you're not in the club, you'd better load up on chocolate ice cream or you're not going to make it through the night..


OR

Valentines is a holiday where i'm going to make an effort to show people how much i love them,

in whatever way i can; whether it be commercially with cards and candy hearts, or by service with a note or homemade cookies or something.

Choose wisely, because, it will affect your happiness.

you can do it! :)


THE END.

5 comments:

~Bekahjo said...

I unabashedly declare that I've been single every Valentines day for my entire life. Therefore, it would be weird for me to be WITH someone on Valentines Day =] And I've never said this, but it's kind of fun getting Valentines stuff from people who feel sorry for you for being single on V-Day...Then that night they're stuck standing in line at a restaurant while you're cozy in your apartment eating their cookies and watching your favorite movie. I ask you: Who is the winner in THAT match?

Jodilyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jodilyn said...

Jaime
This is why I love you! You are completely right. When i was little, my parents ALWAYS had something for us, we gave something to EVERYONE in our elem. class. Then we get older and people tell us that its only for COUPLES. Its not, its a day to let everyone in our life know that we love and appreciate them.

Jodilyn said...

PS- the deleted was me, i needed to add more! Love ya jaime

--jeff * said...

i'm totally down with the "in love' valentine's thing. though i've only done it once, and have fallen flat a few more times.
but i raise my mouse in support of the "single awareness day is lame" proposition. if people want to make a big deal out of thinking their lame, whatever.

i also support doing nice things for people you think are stellar in other way.

way to be awesome.