Monday, February 23, 2009

Words of Counsel


When i first lived down at BYU, i went to the Provo Temple with a roommate, faithfully every week. We found the perfect time to go, when no one else was there, and we could get in and out (doing baptisms) in just a half an hour. (she threatened my LIFE if i told anyone else about this time.. --she was crazy.) I continued to do that for about a year and then, slowly, started going less and less. Unfortunately, there as a period where i didn't go at all...
I have recently started going again.
I know endowed memebers usually have a goal of going once a month. I decided to up that to twice a month, which surprisingly, i had a hard time doing. Well, it was until my life was thrown for a loop... I changed my priorites and started coming once a week, and have done so for about five months.
At first, i started coming so often, for completely selfish reasons. I needed blessings. I needed Heavenly Father's help to make it through, the day. Sincerely, I have received those blessings. And my reason for going has changed.
One reason it changed was because, a girl at church, who works at the temple said, "have you ever noticed that there aren't any temples south of the Provo one until you get to Manti, and then St George? Why is that?" I had noticed this, but not really thought about it, but yeah, WHY IS THAT? she said, "they will build another temple when the current temple is at 60% of capacity." If you've ever been to the Provo Temple, it's pretty busy. But it is only at 40% capacity. REALLY?! It was then i decided that i really could go more often, and needed to.
This last month, i realized, that i need to try and go more often. Of all the things i can do to help further the Kingdom of God, this was one of them. Who better to go and do the work than a single person with no children and no real distractions?
On thursday, Sister Beck came to my Stake for a question and answer session. In these latter-days, we need to be careful in who we decide to listen to and follow, because, satan is really tricky. He mingles truth with error, which makes it harder to detect, and you could slowly be lead away without even knowing it. I know Julie Beck, will not lead us astray.
Two things that she mentioned that i found very interesting was, she asked, "who wants the dream?" (the dream being, to get married and raise a righteous family) of course, we all raised our hands. (this being just a relief society meeting) then she said, "unfortunately, not all of us will get it here. This life is the EXPERIENCE; not the dream. the NEXT LIFE is the dream. We need to work and do what we can to follow Heavenly Father here and now, regardless of the circumstances we are in, and he will not lead us astray." (i am paraphrasing, of course)
Next she said, there are two important things we can be doing right now to help further the Kingdom of God on the earth:
1: share the gospel. whether formally on a fulltime mission, or writing a blog, or talking to friends at work, etc. to share it any way we can. essentially, all memebers should be doing this.
2: Doing work for the dead. she said, "who is supposed to be doing this? surely, the young mother with six children clinging to her leg cannot do it; she has her own calling, to raise the rising generation. so who then? the old people? well, most of them are working in the temple, to make sure things run smoothly and function when volunteers come to do the work. then who? who should be doing the work? You young people. That is your calling right now. When is a better time than when you are young and single and actually have time? before you start raising your families. Make it a priority in your life."
But even if you can only make it once a month, 12 times a year is better than 0. :) Do what you can, and the Lord will bless you. I can say this, because, he has blessed me.

5 comments:

--jeff * said...

thanks for the reminder; i'm trying to make going to the temple a more regular event for me, too.

Becky said...

good job for being right in line with her counsel. i need to be better about sharing the gospel

Micah said...

Wow. . . I needed that. Thanks for the example!

Jekakah said...

:) that was a good one.

Jodilyn said...

jaime you are so inspiring and I cant wait til the day i can write and tell you that i go to the temple twice a month.