Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Brilliant Idea

I had a brilliant idea today while i was watching TV. For the past few weeks, i've been thinking alot about how i need to be working toward a career. I'm too old not to have a plan. And while i make pretty good money (considering) being an optician, it would be nice to make more and be able to get my own place someday. Let's face it, it's always a possibility that i'll never get married, and even if i do, we're never exempt from unemployment or becoming a widow... so it's just a good idea to have, a PLAN.

I now have a plan.

Like i just said, I've been trying to figure out what i should do for a career. I LOVE art and have always loved studying it. But i've found over the years, that any time i've done it as a job, i've started to hate it. (loathe. entirely.) but people didn't understand. They would push and question why i didn't keep going for a career in the art field but I didnt quite know how to explain.. And when i tried, i would just get frustrated because it would all get lost in translation. I would get even more frustrated because, what else could i do? i'd only ever considered art for a career. I had no back up plan for if that didn't pan out...

People have suggested me being a nurse or a teacher or a paralegal. while all of these jobs are great, i just don't think they're for me. To be honest, I actually think i would hate them. The medical field is the best to go into, (so i keep hearing) because there'll always be jobs available. (makes sense..) i'd thought and thought about it for a long time, but no medical jobs seemed like something i wouldn't hate doing for the rest of my life. Argh. What am i supposed to do with my life!?

but i had an idea today!

Radiology technologist. (Sounds smart, huh?)

What exactly does that job entail, you may ask? Pretty much, you just take X-rays. That's it. I liked the idea too because, you can actually work up the ladder and specialize in CT scans or MRI's. (i like the idea of moving up.) I could TOTALLY do that. I shyed away from other medical jobs because i didn't really want to be giving people shots and IV's... (I mean, if i had to learn, i'd do it, but i'd rather not.. ) But, for some reason, when i thought about this job, it didn't give me COMPLETE anxiety, like alot of other jobs i've considered.

So, i did some research. Learned more about it. And... i think i'm in. It says it starts out around $33,000 a year and can make up to $55,000. That sounds like a great range for a single lady. I could handle that. :)

I've got a few pre reqs to take here at UVU and then I'll have to apply to get into the program at SLCC. (In the state of Utah, it's only offered at SLCC, Dixie and Weber State. SLCC is the only one that doesnt require a MILLION pre reqs and interviews and twenty referral letters... All the schools generally only take 1-3 dozen students a year... So, it's pretty competitive... Cross your fingers for me.)

But, I'm up for a challenge.

Alright. Here we go!

8 comments:

Becky said...

Good for you! As I was reading your dislikes for health care, I thought, "I wonder if she'd do radiology tech?" because...I don't know, I just could see you doing it. And then you said it and I was excited for you. Good luck!

ComedySportz Utah said...

I love it. What a great Idea. I think will be so good at it. This is coming from a girl that has had enough x-rays for about 10 people in all their life time. I have always really enjoyed my X-ray people. Good Luck!

Miss Ashley said...

I loved SLCC!! That was the only place that had my degree as well. But I really enjoyed my time there! It sounds like an awesome option! I hope it works out for you!!! :)

Lady said...

Sounds great! I can totally see you doing that.
And I GET the whole "art as career driving you mad" thing. It's like... creative genius on demand? are you kidding me? it's like authors on a deadline with writer's block; sucks the fun right out of the passion, and who needs that?

Good luck with SLCC! Sounds like a great idea. (btw, it took me a bit longer to find my perfect career choice, but I don't think you're ever too old to start fresh. and it feels great to have that new drive to BE what you want to BE, ykwim?)

Anonymous said...

NECK!!!

-Jekakah

Ryan said...

I could see you really enjoying that and being good at it. My bit of advice is just go into it knowing that this is what you want to do... too many people here at school are just so half-hearted and I dont think will be practicing for very long.

Krif said...

Jaime, sounds like you have something to shoot for. Jon said you could also consider drug trafficing, but I don't think that's a good idea.

In a different note, come up. We want to see you. When can you come up? I know it's a long drive, but you could sleep in one of the spare rooms in the basement. We could even leave the hallway light on if you got scared (Kaylee likes that too).

It's really nice to hear about you on your blog.

--jeff * said...

like i said, it's kind of like super-photography. definitely a fit for you.

but what are you going to do in the millennium?

plans are awesome.