You never truly appreciate deodorant until you find out, you're ALLERGIC.Yep. You heard it folks. I believe i'm allergic to deodorant.
Gasp!
Sigh..
How do you know you're allergic? I've never been allergic to anything before so i wasn't sure. But... things happen where the deodorant is applied that don't normally happen there... and shouldn't happen there..
(i'm suddenly realizing this is QUITE a personal story and maybe i shouldn't be sharing it via THE INTERNET... but then again, whatever.)
ANYWAY, quite a few people have tried to tell me that what's been going on is "razor burn". People. I am twenty-eight years old. I know what razor burn is. This is JUST DIFFERENT. TRUST me.
So... what does a young-hip girl DO who can no longer wear deodorant?! Is she socially DOOMED?
I searched google. (well, i FIRST searched there to find out if it was actually an allergic reaction. Cause you know, the TRUTH is on the internet.. ha.) I found some other people with similar problems (even some people who've only had it on one arm, like me!) and they made suggestions on how to fix it.
You've got to experiment. Cause really, you could NOT be allergic to deodorant AT ALL, and merely a certain brand or fragrance. Seeing as all of my deodorants recently have caused the same problem.. I'm not sure i want to waste alot of money searching for different "brands".
The first suggestion was to go to gel. Yuck. Not my favorite alternative, but i'll do it. I tried it today. FAIL. WORSE. (so long $4.29...)
Next option was suggested by the doctor i work for. He said he's allergic to anti-persperant and has to get deodorant only. Huh. That never crossed my mind. While looking through the vast variety of deodorants that fill the aisles of walmart, i soon discovered that, there ARE NO GIRL deodorants, sans the anti-persperant. Only BOY smelling deodorants.
My coworker suggested me to get the boy smelling ones anyway. She said "some girls like the way they smell. I LOVE how my husband smells."
**blink**
I don't even know why i continued that conversation... but i did. Anyway...
Wait! there's ONE! Tom's all natural, yadda yadda, apricot smelling... SWEET! Hook. me. up! I'll try it!
On the way home, i decided to try the last alternative (just in case this doesnt work. I don't want to find myself sitting ALONE during sacrament meeting this sunday because i'm not smelling like a ROSE) The last suggestion can only be purchased at a health food store. It's an all natural salt stick deodorant. (yeah... i don't know. They say it's a CRYSTAL... I guess that sounds cooler and more convincing than "salt stick", which is what it actually is.) I guess you get it wet, roll it on like regular deodorant (it's even in the same shape and form as a stick of deodorant) and it SOMEhow makes your sweat not smell bad...? i dunno. It's "SCIENCE". Oh, and, get this; It lasts a YEAR. ?
Sold. So... i bought it. $5.95 is a small price to pay for deodorant for a year. It even suggests using it on your feet. Interesting...
I'll keep you posted if the salt stick actually works. And Tom. Can't forget Tom.
5 comments:
that stinks.
(sorry, couldn't resist)
so you smell like salt now? or does it just neutralize you?
can you still wear perfume? that seems to be more noticeable than the deodorant scent anyway.
your coworker's comment is interesting; i'm sure she likes the way her husband smells, but i think i might be a little weirded by a girl who smells like axe deodorant.
hmmm, who knows, actually....?
So, I have a few thoughts about this:
1) I had a similar issue once, when I was in high school--my deodorants made me itch, so I felt like a monkey scratching my under arms all the time. I got a roll-on liquid type Rx from my doctor. I'm not sure if it really helped or not, maybe some
2) It went away after a few months or so, and I returned to normal "anti-perspirant" so maybe your issue will be short-lived, too.
3) One of the triathlons I ran gave trial-sized deodorant in the goody-bag at the end. It was "boy smelling" deodorant, but yes, I used it. But it was free and small, so it didn't last long, so don't think I'm too weird!
i've heard great things about those salt sticks. i've been meaning to get one for about a year now, but i never go in a natural food/health food store. :)
I actually got a rash when I SWITCHED to gel deodorant. So I went back to the stick and I've been fine ever since. TMI? Maybe.
I don't have much to say other than I LOVE this post! LOL!
Post a Comment