Many of you may remember the temple adventure i started last year, where i was trying to go to as many temples as i could. I have continued that goal all year and hope i will be able to continue it throughout my life. While i was in Palmyra, i was lucky enough to do a session, and be able to count it toward my goal. 
Because of pageant season, I had to make an appointment to go to the temple. My appointment was at 8 am, requiring me to get up around 6:45 to be on time. (which is SUPER early, for any of you that know me...) I enjoyed the drive there, being able to go through the small towns surrounding the area. I wouldn't mind living here some day.
This is considered a "mini" temple and i was surprised at how small it really was. (I think i'm just used to all these giant
temples around Utah.) The endowment room only had 40 seats in it. We made a record, having 57 members attend, when the previous record was 53. That was kinda special.
temples around Utah.) The endowment room only had 40 seats in it. We made a record, having 57 members attend, when the previous record was 53. That was kinda special.Afterward, I drove back through the town and picked Jessica up at the hotel, only to head straight back where i had just come from. We went and saw where Joseph Smith's house was built and listened to the tours given there. It was interesting to see everything and imagine how things were back then.
My favorite part of the whole tour was the Sacred Grove. There were a bunch of pathways through the forest, with wooden benches here and there that you could sit on and think or pray. I decided to take the opportunity, while Jessica walked ahead to find her own spot to be alone as well.
I remember how peaceful it felt and thought to myself, "I can see why Heavenly Father would pick a place like this to appear to humble young boy. It's so beautiful and peaceful." Just looking out into the trees and hearing the birds chirping.. I know it sounds cliche or cheesy... For lack of a better word, it was, truly, amazing.

The Sacred Grove
Next, we drove into the Town of Palmyra, because i really wanted to see where the Book of Mormon was first published. We parked and headed to the E.B. Grandin building. The next tour wasn't starting for fifteen minutes, so we did a little shopping to bide our time. We saw more protesters. HA! I really enjoyed the tour, although, i wish we had had a little more time to look around at things. The sister missionaries did a great job showing how the printing process worked and giving little tid bits of information, but there was alot more to see in there and there just wasn't enough time, with all the tours going through. I'm glad we could go though, regardless.

Jess and I in front of where the organized the type for the Book of Mormon. Each letter had to be placed individually, upside down and backwards. Talk about a tidious job...
We stopped at a local store before we headed back to New Jersey and bought a couple books. Jessica bought the original version of the Book of Mormon. (I already have a copy, which i received two Christmases before, and LOVE.) While I bought the original version of the Doctrine and Covenants, which also contains Joseph Smith's "Lectures on Faith". (i bought a copy of last year but seem to have mispalced.)
We also stopped at a local grocery store and bought some blueberries for our journey home. :)
Yet ANOTHER good day.
2 comments:
awesome. i'd love to visit the Sacred Grove some day.
well written.
and i'm envious of the east coast blueberries...
What a great trip! And I agree about blueberries--I was a little iffy on them awhile back and now I love them too! And they're so good for you. And I think toll bridges are just silly. I think having to pay to park is silly too.
Post a Comment