One thing i always like about being with my sister is how silly we can be together. No matter what is going on in our lives, or the world for that matter, we can find SOMETHING to laugh about. I've always thought that laughter is the best medicine.Well, i'm here to write a little about my trip out to visit her. It'll probably be in segments, as i don't want to leave anything out, and if i didnt, they would probably be really long posts. So, here we go!
Tuesday, July 14th 2009
I flew out of Salt Lake City at 6 am. Jeff was kind enough to accompany me up to the airport and bring my car back home. (i convinced him to come with the promise of an Egg McMuffin on the way home.. I felt it was the least i could do. 4 am is EARLY!) Because i didn't sleep the night before (from packing) i fell asleep before the plane even took off.. There was a small layover in Fort Worth, Texas before finally landing in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania a little after 3pm.
Jessica had left a message that she would be about 20 minutes late. (they wouldn't let her off the base because a weapon was missing.. ha) After about 15 minutes, she called again, saying that she had missed a turn and would now be 45 minutes late. I could've gotten really mad, but didn't. I just laughed. I wasn't in a hurry or anything. After that time had passed, i received another phone call... It was Jessica again. She had gone to the wrong airport.
Ha ha!
She talked to some guy where she was and arranged to have a white van come pick me up and take me to where she was. They told me where to go and i waited. Um... let's just say there were MANY white vans... I was like, "Great! I'm going to get into the WRONG van and end up being human trafficked!" Jeff texted and said "i'd better get a text from you every fifteen minutes until you are safe or i'm calling the FBI!" Soon, a woman pulled up, who was very friendly, and i laughed at myself for even worrying a little. She took me to jessica in no time.
After loading my backpack (i learned my lesson last year, when i went to new york and packed a GIANT bag... let's just say i gave myself an ulcer, trying to pack it around on the subway and buses.. I'll never do THAT again) we headed out into Philly to get something to eat. Her neat little GPS "wendy" pulled up all the restaurants in the area. We concluded to go somewhere we recognized and went to Applebee's.
After dinner, we decided just to drive around downtown Philly. My friend told us that everything closed at 6pm, but it was a little hard to believe.. I must confess, he was right. Everything was closed as we were driving around. We did see a baseball game going on and thought about stopping in, but decided to just head back to the base instead, on account that we were beat. We got some pancakes real quick(the THICKEST pancakes i've seen in my ENTIRE life!) from what Jessica calls the "chow hall" and headed out to see "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince." We had originally planned on seeing it a different night and even purchased tickets, but she thought it might be more fun to see it opening night. Which, yes, is always more fun, but... it started at midnight, was a three hour long movie, i hadn't slept the night before, AND we were planning to go to an amusement park the next morning. So, it wasn't the best of ideas, BUT was super thoughtful, nonetheless.
It was, a really great movie! although, i did have a hard time keeping my eyes open. :) (Good thing i had the chance to see it a second time this last weekend.) Poor Jessica was such a trooper. She had absolutely no interest in the movie at all, but she came anyway, because i wanted to. What a great sister.
The drive home was long, but only because we were beat from an equally long day. It had been a good day. Good to see each other again and laugh. We crashed on her full sized bed and fell asleep, almost immediately.
:)
2 comments:
I would have loved to be there with you guys, because I know how much much you two have. I love it!!
your sister IS awesome.
i look forward to the rest of the stories.
Post a Comment