I got here two hours before my flight, expecting that i would have to wait in huge lines before i leave. My experiences with New York airports have proven that to be the case, time and again. But this time, it took less than five minutes to check in and go through security.
blink.
So, now i've got two whole HOURS to chill. I thought i'd blog.
My time here, on the east coast, has been an adventure. I want to write more when i have access to my USB cord, and can upload pictures to illustrate what went on. But until then, here are a few fun things i learned about the east coast:
They have convenient stores/gas stations on every corner called the "Wawa"
. I don't know why i thought this was so funny, but every time we passed them i had to say, "the Wawa." (of course, in a mocking voice) We talked about how they could come up with such a ridiculous name... But they're everywhere.At the Wawa, they have an INGENIOUS way of ordering sandwiches. They have a touch screen computer where you pick the sandwich, including the bread and all the toppings. Once you're finished ordering, it prints you a receipt, which you take and pay the cashier at the front, along with your gasoline and whatever else. By the time you're done paying, DING, your sandwich is ready. GENIUS!
Next, i learned about blueberries. Um, blueberries are, AMAZING! Who knew? I've always had this preconceived notion that blueberries were gross. I'd assumed they tasted like the blueberries you found in blueberry muffins or pancakes. (why would i think they tasted otherwise?) Which isn't necessarily bad... but, i dunno. I've just never had the desire to go out and BUY blueberries. So when my sister offered me some to snack on, I politely said i'd pass. She persisted, and I gave in.Um, they are NOTHING like blueberry flavored things. To be, they seemed more similar to a kiwi or a plum. They're small (obviously) and just burst in your mouth. They're DELICIOUS! We bought a couple quarts and had no problem getting rid of them. So i feel i must convert the world, as i was converted, to eating blueberries. (BONUS: They're super good for you. What more could you ask for?! Great tasting AND healthy.)

I also learned about Tolls. "Hey, pay us money to drive on our road." (YOUR road?) You can choose to opt out of this, but, you're going to add a half hour to an hour onto your driving time. BOO. So, you pretty much HAVE to pay. The cheapest toll we had to pay was $.55 and the most expensive was $9.20. The tolls we paid going to upstate New York was about $12 altogether. So if you come out here, make SURE you've got CASH MONEY in your car... or you'll be screwed.
The last thing i learned about that i'll share today is about GPS's. I've HEARD of them before, but never really cared to know anything about them.
(I'm a typical girl: While i like technology and think it's great and all, i'm not "wooed" by it like guys are.) But i admit, I was wrong in not caring. They are GENIUS!How you could get around here without one, i have NO IDEA. First of all, all the streets have names instead of numbers. People always have been confused at how Utah is set up with north, south, east and west, but i've NEVER understood HOW that is confusing and finding street names isn't. !?! Second of all, there's so many curves and freeways, turnpikes and highways, turns and jug handles*; how could you POSSIBLY follow anyone's directions? But the GPS, whom my sister named "Wendy", safely lead the way. Sometimes she'd be confused and tell us to go one way and then to turn around and go back, but overall, she did a pretty good job.
*a jug handle is a means to turn left. Out here on the east coast, they dont have "suicide lanes" like the due on the west coast, where you can pull off and wait until it's safe to make a left hand turn. Instead, they have what are called jug handles. They are a turn off, on the right hand side of the road, shaped much like the handle on a milk jug, which loops around, taking you to a light and allowing you to go in the right direction. It's smart... yet, less effective. (So much work to make a left hand turn...)
Well, that's all for now. Until the next post, Be excellent to each other!
5 comments:
i really dig this post. it's fun, including for the following reasons:
-it's fun to say "wawa". even more fun with the definite article: "the wawa". i'd shop there, with or without the sandwich computers.
-i'm a recent convert to blueberries, too (not that i ever thought they were gross). tasty and super-nutritious? i keep a cup with me by the camera on set....
-i can understand a handful of change or even a dollar and bit for a toll road. but $9? that better save some serious time.
i'm looking forward to the illustrated posts.
and, lastly, nice outro. ; )
Man,I wish I was out there with you. When I was out there, me and my friend would have gotten lost with out the GPS. It's amazing, but not as amazing as you. I can't wait to hear more. Sound like you had a blast.
I LOVE Wawa, when we lived in Virgina we had one, I laughed just like you when I read the name but man o man to they have great food and snacks in there.
I also agree with the Blueberries, they are one of my new favorite things to eat...and having them be good for you just maked it a little better.
And we do have a GPS thingy, its aweome...LOL Love ya
Jaime, I will be heading to NYC in September. I love your posts. We need to get together. Love ya!
1. Yea for fruit!
2. My toll back from JFK was $11 DOLLARS!
3. Wendy, stop telling me to turn around.
4. Jaime pie, thank you for coming! Remember what I told you about bad picture posting.. :)
The End.
Post a Comment