Sunday at Havasupai was the best! It was a two mile hike into the village where the branch building was. I left a little earlier than everyone else to start the trek. I kinda wanted to be alone to think. I felt like those stories you hear in church, where members faithfully made it to church every week, even when they had to walk miles and miles. I didn't feel burdened at all to have to walk all that way. I actually enjoyed every minute. I enjoyed passing all the waterfalls, with their clear, aquamarine water, having all the time in the world to think and sing hymns.The building was fairly small. A member of the high council and his wife helicoptered in to speak in sacrament meeting. They said this happens three of the four weeks of the month. They also said that normally, 4-12 members attend per week, but this week we were there, there were about 60. (some of us having to sit in the kitchen and on the floor)
The meeting was wonderful. The talks didn't necessarily get to me, but i had an overwhelming feeling of how much God loves us and all his children. That he would have a little branch, all the way out here on this little Indian Reservation, so that the Saints could meet together and worship, made me tear up. I'm so thankful Heavenly Father loves us so much.

After church, we started the long trek back to camp. I walked with Jonathan. (pictured with me above. He was the one who invited me. A member of what i call, the "boys club", who has been a true friend for many years.) We all changed and went back to Havasu falls for a swim, because it was pretty warm out. We mostly just lounged around in the lower falls pictured here. They were pretty shallow and refreshing. (great for kids to play in!) Unfortunately, while we were in the deeper water, i hit the bottom of my foot on a rock. No big deal right? Well, i had this MONSTER blister, that had been threatening my life since we hiked in on saturday. Let's just say, it WASN'T awesome. but, i tried to keep trekin along anyway.. I didn't want to miss any of the adventuring.
Next, we went on a little adventure to an abandoned mine. WHOA! I know, right? It was actually really fun. Most of us had these handy little head lamps. It was like a maze! It was a little scary when we all turned off our lights and it was pitch black, but overall, it was super fun! (you'd think since i had a headlamp, i'd be able to see.. Ha! The ceilings were pretty low and i managed to hit my head twice. That was awesome... ha ha)
Alot of the group went down a rope into lower levels, but since not everyone had a light, i went out with some of the girls, to make sure they made it out safely. (there was a GIANT hole at the beginning that went down to the third level. If you didn't have a light, you'd fall in... Yikes!)(Before i forget, this actually happened saturday, but i've gotta slip it in here somewhere) We went on another little hike to another waterfall called Mooney Falls. This one was pretty fun because part of the hike, you went inside the mountain. I felt like i was at disneyland on Tom Sawyers Island. But then came the scary part... I didn't realize i was so afraid of heights until some hiking trips last summer (The City of Rocks and Angel's Landing at Zion's National Park) but, apparently i am very afraid. To the point where i cry.. (oh man, why am i TELLING you all this?!) Anyway, the next part of the hike were some pretty steep stairs that required you to hold onto chains... I couldnt do it. I stayed there and watched everyone play around at the bottom of the falls. The waterfall was HUGE! The biggest i think i've ever seen. Definately worth going, even if i couldn't make it to the bottom. (although, i think if i went again, i might be able to talk myself into going down)
Afterward, we went back and made dinner. The guys were in charge tonight and we had those Pasta-roni packets. Let's just say it took a while to make ALL twelve packages using two little stoves. Ha ha. (i dropped my camera and the shutter has a hard time opening now... Oops.)It was pretty dark when we were eating and the canyon proved to be AMAZING for looking at stars. I LOVE looking at stars! We all went down by Mooney Falls and laid out on our towels and just looked at the stars. It was wonderful.
My foot was hurting pretty badly from earlier and i was having a hard time walking so i decided to head back a little early. It was hurting so bad, i really didnt think i'd make it out WITHOUT a giant pack, let alone with one. I thought it might be a good idea to head back early and get some rest. Needless to say, my night ended with alot of prayer...
Thanks for reading and stay tuned to find out what happens NEXT!
2 comments:
dang- that is a seriously awesome trip!
you keep writing, i'll keep reading (and wanting to go).
(sorry to hear about your camera; at least it's not your slr...)
Jealous jealous jealous. I love it. I can't wait to hear more!
Post a Comment