Thursday, September 17, 2009

Worst. Teeth. Ever.


It's 3 am and i can't sleep. My mouth has been hurting from some dental work done earlier this week. I don't really like to take medicine unless the pain is unbearable and thought i could just go to sleep and that would take care of things.

I finally got out of bed at 2 am to take something. I took Excedrin cause it's what i had. That wasn't one of my most brilliant ideas. (Excedrin has caffeine..) And thus, i am wide awake now, even though the pain has gone.

So, I really got screwed when it came to teeth. No matter how much i brush or floss, i still get cavities. It's despairing, and pathetic. I have to use a special prescription fluoride, once a week, to prevent getting any. (it's about $12 for a small tube) Because i'm a bonehead though, i forget to use it sometimes, and STILL get cavities. (you'd think i'd learn my lesson each time i have to have a cavity filled..) Argh. In these cases though, i have no one to blame but myself. I just get overly confident when i go to the dentist and don't have any cavities, that i don't think i need it anymore. Like somehow something i did (not the fluoride toothpaste) caused me to be cavity free.

DUH.

But then there are traumatizing times, like this last Monday, that make me want to use it EVERYDAY, just to make sure this never happens, EVER. AGAIN!

I had to have what is called an Onlay. I guess it's simliar to a root canal, but your root hasn't died yet so they only replace part of the tooth instead of the whole thing. They did the drilling work on it a couple weeks ago and covered it temporarily while we waited for the permanent replacement to come in. During that two weeks though, my tooth was SUPER sensitive to cold, and i couldn't even chew on that side at all or i would, DIE. (i know that sounds dramatic, but that's the best way i can think to describe it.)

(OK! it may be a SLIGHT exaggeration, but still. It wasn't a party.)

When i went in this Monday, to finish the work, i let them know how my tooth had been pretty sensitive the past two weeks. They decided to give me some Novocain, because of that, so they could finish working on it without me having any pain.

They gave me a few shots and waited for the numbness to spread. Even though my face felt huge like an elephant, i could still feel it when they started drilling. So the dentist gave me a few more shots and we waited. But, unfortunately, again, i could still feel the drill.

:(

Surprised, he gave me a FEW MORE shots. (probably totalling ten. and i am NOT exaggerating)

I was pretty distraught when he started drilling again and i could STILL feel it. Feeling like a bother though, i just motioned for him to go on. I would get through it, somehow.. And i did, but not without some tears. A few minutes before he was done, the Novocain FINALLY kicked in and i couldn't feel the pain anymore, at which point, i thanked Heavenly Father for those few moments of relief.

Since then though, my mouth has been pretty tender. I can't really brush on that side, and my tongue feels like i bit it, pretty hard. (i'm not sure why it affected my tongue so much, since it wasn't really involved in anything... all i know is, it hurts.)

Needless to say, i'm REALLY looking forward to the resurrection when i'll have perfect teeth and not have to worry how many cavities i'll have THIS time when i go to the dentist. Count your blessings that you have good teeth, and with little effort.

:)

2 comments:

--jeff * said...

i love that you keep an eternal perspective, even dentally.

ComedySportz Utah said...

I am so so sorry. That sucks. I have the same situation when I go to the dentist. They always have to give me more shots. :(

Shayla