
While driving to work today, i noticed alot of the flags were at half-mass. I was trying to think if anyone important had died..., but then i remembered it was 9/11 today.
I remember exactly what i was doing when i found out about the attacks. I was actually asleep in my apartment. My roommate came in and woke me up and was like, "HOW can you be asleep when something like this is happening!?" But... uh, DUH.. i had no IDEA something had happened. We all sat in our apartment and watched the TV. It was awful. I remember the most heartbreaking part was seeing little ties flying up, as people jumped out of the burning buildings. It made me cry.
It was a tuesday. Almost time for the devotional at BYU. I'm pretty sure everyone went that day. If there was a time we all needed some counsel, it was then. I didn't go to BYU, but i went to the devotional that day. I don't remember what the speaker said, but i bet he was pretty nervous going into that one, after a national crisis.
The first time i ever went to New York City was March after the attacks. They were still cleaning things up. It was heart wrenching to see all the love and support from people around the world. And amazing that a tiny little church, just a block away, was untouched by any of the rubble. It was a refuge, during the whole thing, for the tired firemen and policemen.
I remember that year, people were alot nicer.
But it soon faded. People forgot. And for the next few years, i would hear people talk about the war and how bad it is and how stupid President Bush was for having our troops go over there.
really?
REALLY?!
When we were attacked at Pearl Harbor, did everyone attack and scroutenize the President for the choice to go to war? No. Because it was obvious why we went in. We were sorta forced... Why is this war so different?
Sorry. I wasn't going to make this political. I was just thinking about this today, and how people have disrespected the President for his choices about it. Don't get me wrong, I don't like war either.. (who does?) But sometimes, unfortunately, these things have to happen. (if you think that's not true, read about Captain Moroni. He did'nt take no crap from nobody!)
I wanted to write today mostly because, my sister left for Afghanistan on Sunday. She called me her first day there and said it wasn't as bad as she'd imagined. (of which i was truly grateful for.) I worry for her over there, but know that God will take care of her.
Please pray for her safety, along with all those who serve our country. Hopefully, this war will end soon.
(this is a link about the base she is staying on and what happened there today)
God bless the USA!
2 comments:
thank you, it made me cry. i love you alot.
-jess
way to be awesome. both of you.
Post a Comment